Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Design for Shabby Apple




This Summer Shabby Apple is holding a Dare to Design Competition. I would love to one day design clothes as a side job from my home. I decided here would be a good start to see what I might be capable of. So here is my first properly finished sketch.


Fabric: Cotton and Spandex blend

Colors: Cream with deep plum purple lace band

Inspiration: A little over 2 years ago my brother got married. While the design for the bridesmaid dresses was up in the air I would sketch ideas during my free time and as doodles during class. Although my ideas weren’t chosen, my love of designing was born. I have since been working on my sewing skills and haven’t stopped sketching my ideas.

This discovered love of dress design merged with my love of old movies. For as long as I can remember I have loved old movies. Through them my love for vintage clothing, especially that of Edith Head, grew. This dress “The old pizzazz” was inspired particularly by “Funny Face”. Audrey Hepburn’s wardrobe mixed with my love of lace accents produced this dress of simplicity, sophistication, and elegance.

1 comment:

  1. So how and when and where does one vote for your dress? :)

    ReplyDelete